Hey guys! So over the next few months I will be embarking on a study abroad in Townsville Australia! I am absolutely excited beyond explanation! I've set this up as a personal journal and hope my friends and family will enjoy reading as well! Here goes....!



Thursday, September 16, 2010

Series of Fortunate events

Helllllo! It is high time I sat here and put some thoughts on blogspot. I'm not sure where to start as sooooo much has happened within the past two weeks!

So lets jump back to Friday Sept 3. We had went to the Townsville Hospital shortly after we arrived here to ask first if there was any job availability and then found the volunteer desk if we could at least help in that way. We found out at that point that in Queensland you have to have a blue card to work around children which basically states that you're not a wierdo and have a history of strange offenses. The lady said these could take a while to obtain since we were international, but she asked instead if we would like to help with a charity golf day in SeptembA...(aussies throw a big "A" at the end of any word ending in -er). LOL , anyways, we said that sure we would help although we know nothing about golf. Okay, fast forward to golf day....we arrive and the lady says that everything was pretty under control but if we would just like to spend the day driving a golf cart around to the teams and sell raffle tickets and be the "camera crew." OKay! So, they give us a map, mind you, Addie nor I have never been on a golf course.....and off we go in the cart....HAHA, Thank God the first team we cross was nice! We just asked how's it going and they bought some raffles and then I had to frankly admit that I had no idea where we could and couldn't drive....in which one of them said, "Just stay 10 steps off the Green, and look out for balls." I guess Addie’s befuddled face triggered one of them to respond, “10 steps off the cut grass, that is.” So on our way we went…laughing like crazy…”10 steps off the green”…it’s all green right ??
We hit up several of the teams, sold many raffles, and took lots of photos! At some point we were informed that only old people volunteer in Australia. They couldn’t believe we were volunteering by choice! A few hours later we ran into the first team again….they asked why we were in Australia, why we were volunteering, our major..the usual. We had a brief convo and off we go again…close to lunch time, we run into the original team once more, one of the guys quickly gives us business cards and says he would like to speak at lunch about a telephone answering job. We’re not sure what to think…laughter follows as we drive away thinking..."SCORE, a job.....that we didn't even ask for!"
At lunch, the guy, Noel, tells us about his company, a solar power business. He then says that they would like to try letting us make phone calls for his company to set up appointments for consultations. Basically a telemarketer quite frankly. Oh well, a job's a job....so we said we would come in the following week! This is where it really gets interesting...but let me follow the days in order. So next interesting day is Sunday. We spend around 5 hours trying to purchase our Cambodia airline tickets....this turned out to be quite an ordeal because our credit cards got denied when we started our booking with Air Asia since they wern't authorized for Asia. At one point Addie's purchase from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur went thru and mine didn't. Even though I probably shoulda been worried, I found this hilarious...one of my favorite quotes that day.."Hey Addie, you're on a one way flight to Malaysia!" ahh, I wont go on about it, as I assume, this occasion was a "you had to be there to understand" kind of situation. But what I will preach about is our AWESOME evening with 3 AWESSSIE couples! One of the yoga ladies I talked about a while back invited us over for dinner! This was trully an asset to our trip! They were sooo neat and shared bunches of aussie humor with us during an outdoor porch dinner. They also have a tennis court in the back yard and we got some tennis lessons; along with invites back to play tennis anytime! Ahhh it was trully a lovely evening!

OKay, then comes Monday....we do the usual, bus ride into town to get anywhere we need to go, but this time a bit of different route, as we are travelling to our new job! We were just going to work 3 hours a day on both Monday and Thursday. So, we get there, Kash, the owner, shows us around, explains what we would be doing...that sorta thing. Then he offers a lift home, on the way to campus, somehow the subject came up that using a public bus system was much different for us since we have our own cars in the states, to which he responds, "Oh do yous (pronounced "use", plural you) have a license?" "Yes," we say. He goes, "Oh, I have a spare company car yous can use. That'll make it alot easier for yous." My jaw drops I think, I'm fighting back laughter, because quite frankly I feel like I needa slap my face to make sure I'm not in a dream! A CAR??? HOLY COW, this seems sketchy, but really, people really just show THAT much hospitality here! It is amazing! Anyways, I asked him about insurance and the legality of the issue. We checked into the situation later, and sure enough, we're legal to drive here! So on Thursday when we go back to work, sure enough, he let us take the car home! It's quite an interesting ride...it has a rack on top, ya know, in case we want to hall timber or something of the sort..haha!


OKay, I'll wrap this up soon as this is nearly a novel! Let me add, we went on our first scuba diving trip this past weekend!!! Absolutely AMMMMMMAZING!!! I LOVED IT!!!! Later for now!
PS- Sorry for the horrible grammatical errors...I'm in a rush and quite frankly never enjoyed english class!

No comments:

Post a Comment