Hey guys! So over the next few months I will be embarking on a study abroad in Townsville Australia! I am absolutely excited beyond explanation! I've set this up as a personal journal and hope my friends and family will enjoy reading as well! Here goes....!



Monday, November 1, 2010

Cherished priceless Gifts

Yesterday I spent a couple hours on the beach with Addie because it is "dead week" or properly called "swap vac" (no idea why) in Australia. We studied a little but the best part was how freely my thoughts and reminiscing came as I listened to the beautiful ocean curiously wondering if any little jelly fish had made there unpleasant arrival to the Strand yet. Anyways....I wrote a few words...

I find it ironic that I'm laying on the beach studying anthropology notes starting all the way back at week one where we learned the basis of culture...understanding the meaning behind why people do the things they do. As I lie here, there is no questions in my mind for the reason Aussies are so laid back. I've spent all semester recongnizing and fairly easily adapting to the laid back lifestyle here, where appointments may not begin on time, shopping must be done Mon-Sat and commence by 4:30-ish PM, being answered to with "No Worries" when I had even the slightest inflection of concern in my voice, and becoming addicted to coffee with tons of cream as a regular pause in the day. I've had to dispose of my hectic on the go ways that I've been instilled with because of a lifestyle where "every minute counts, and there's no turning back the hands of time." I can assure you that there is no time machine in Australia and therefore is definately not the reason Aussies take life one moment at a time. I've come to learn that there is pure bliss in enjoying the morning paper with fruit, coffee, and perhaps a good mate to chatter with, there is immense beauty in lying beside the beach listening to a crashing tide, there is a level of satisfaction in communicating and keeping an effort to do so with those you care about, and yes, there is bliss in escaping the demands of reality to discover the unforseen meaning in life. So thank you anthropology, maybe it is you who has allowed me to trully appreciate the beliefs, values, and physical differences between cultures that in the grand scheme of things really only proves us all to be more alike than different as I previously assumed. A year and a half ago when I began to plant a seed to begin this beautiful, amazing experience, I can promise you that meeting people from other nations was not what I envisioned. Sadly, I was so narrow minded to think of all the aussies I'de encounter, that I didn't realize there would be other international students, besides USA, traversing the same dream I had. All I can say now, is thank God that idea was quickly labelled rubbish when I arrived in Townsville. My breakfast, lunch, and dinner has now become an awesome delight of a mimic united nations meeting of my first Iranian friend, Malaysian, a mass of Canadians, a couple aussies, let's not forget the few Americans, and even someone from Mauritious, yes, it's okay if you have to google search that one!! And then let me never forget the eye-opening Cambodians along the way as well. I have deffinately found true beauty and inspiration through the friends I have made which has led to meaningful conversations, many dishes of 'food for thought', and has overall aided in developing my personal self. This, my friend, has been the best ever priceless gift of study abroad. The route this whole journey has taken was totally amazing and unexpected! I didn't really no exactly what to expect, but I reckon on the whole, I have decided to sort of always go thru life expecting the unexpected, but leave any expectation rather low, afterall, it just makes the memories that much sweeter when your expectations have been surpassed :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, just wow. I really love this post and your thoughts as you reflect on your Aussie experience. It's very philosophical and honest. All the good stuff! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete